In the midst of a raging global pandemic, millions of Americans are unemployed — including over 1.2 million public service workers, first responders, health care workers, educators, and others who we desperately need on the front lines but are now struggling to put food on the table this holiday season. And while we have promising news about a vaccine on the horizon, states and localities will need resources for efficient and effective distribution. While the House of Representatives passed the Health and Economic Recovery Omnibus Emergency Solutions (HEROES) Act (HR 6800) in May, the Senate has yet to follow suit. Now, before the lame duck congress ends, both chambers have the chance to deliver a robust aid package for our states, cities, towns, and schools so we can beat the pandemic, support families and workers, and prepare for a successful recovery.
Call your lawmakers today and urge them to support a package that includes NCJW’s priorities to protect women, children, and families — especially the Black people disproportionately infected and killed by the virus — such as:
- Funding coronavirus testing, contact tracing, and disease research;
- Extending Unemployment Benefits;
- Extending rent forgiveness and the eviction moratorium;
- Extending cash payments to immigrant families and Medicaid coverage for testing, treatment, vaccines, and other services regardless of immigration status;
- Expanding who can used paid family and medical leave and when it can be used;
- Boosting SNAP benefits and funding for local food banks and school meal providers; and
- Funding initiatives to combat violence against women and to assist sexual assault survivors.
Call your lawmakers to let them know America needs COVID relief now!
Hi my name is [name] and I am a National Council of Jewish Women advocate calling from [city, state]. Families across the country are facing layoffs, decreased wages, loss of health care, possible eviction, and more. Most impacted are communities of color. I urge you to provide the essential support these and all of our communities so urgently need to survive the ongoing public health and economic emergency by passing a comprehensive aid package now!