The For the People Act, introduced by Sen. Tom Udall (D-NM) in March 2019, would enact a series of voting reforms, including:
- modernizing voter registration by implementing online voter registration, automatic voter registration, and same-day registration;
- restoring voting rights to individuals currently or previously incarcerated;
- establishing two weeks of early voting for federal elections;
- making Election Day a federal holiday;
- increasing funds for election security; and
- requiring states to implement independent redistricting commissions.
The bill would also implement campaign finance reform measures and ethics guidelines. The House of Representatives passed this legislation (HR 1) 234-193 on March 8. All Democratic senators are cosponsoring this bill.