The For the People Act (HR 1), introduced by Senator John Sarbanes (D-MD), would enact a series of transformational democracy reforms, including:
- modernizing voter registration by implementing online voter registration, automatic voter registration, and same-day registration;
- restoring voting rights to individuals currently or previously incarcerated;
- establishing two weeks of early voting for federal elections;
- making Election Day a federal holiday;
- increasing funds for election security; and
- requiring states to implement independent redistricting commissions.
The bill would also implement campaign finance reform measures and ethics guidelines. Follow the prompts below to call your representative. If they have cosponsored the bill, consider thanking them first! Find all 221 cosponsors here: https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/1/cosponsors.