The For the People Act (HR 1), introduced by Senator John Sarbanes (D-MD), would enact a series of transformational democracy reforms, including:
- modernizing voter registration by implementing online voter registration, automatic voter registration, and same-day registration;
- restoring voting rights to individuals currently or previously incarcerated;
- establishing two weeks of early voting for federal elections;
- making Election Day a federal holiday;
- increasing funds for election security; and
- requiring states to implement independent redistricting commissions.
The bill would also implement campaign finance reform measures and ethics guidelines. The House of Representatives passed this legislation (HR 1) 234-193 in the last Congress on March 8, 2019.