The Senate will vote imminently the nomination of Matthew Kacsmaryk to a lifetime seat on the US District Court for the Northern District of Texas. Kacsmaryk is one of the most dangerous judicial nominees we’ve seen from President Trump – and that’s saying a lot. He’s anti-women, anti-LGBT, and anti-health care. Federal judges serve for life and make decisions on all of the issues we care about – from reproductive rights to voting rights and beyond. Read on and use the script below to tell your senators that they must reject Kacsmaryk. He does not deserve a lifetime seat on our federal bench.
- Dismissed laws protecting the rights of LGBTQ people as “a bad idea,” and decried the historic inclusion of protections for transgender people in the Violence Against Women Act as “a grave mistake.”
- Promoted disregard and dismissal of transgender people generally, calling them and their experiences a “delusion.” He characterized LGBTQ youth as yielding to “the erotic desires of liberated adults.”
- Attacked the Equality Act, calling it “deceptively titled” and saying it “seeks to weaponize Obergefell” and “give[s] no quarter to Americans who continue to believe and seek to exercise their millennia-old religious belief that marriage and sexual relations are reserved to the union of one man and one woman.”
- Wrote a Supreme Court amicus brief in Zubik v. Burwell attacking the Affordable Care Act’s contraceptive access requirement, making the sweeping argument that “Congress, in short, enacted RFRA to protect all religious objectors from all laws that substantially burden their religious beliefs.”
- Lambasted the regulation implementing Section 1557 of the Affordable Care Act provision, which extended the non-discrimination mandate in federal health care law to gender identity and sex stereotyping.
Make no mistake – Kacsmaryk is totally biased and unfit to serve on the federal bench for any period, let alone his whole life. This is urgent. Call your senators TODAY and urge them to reject Kacsmaryk!
Tell your senators that #CourtsMatter
Input your home address to get your officials’ contact info.
Call all of your officials and read them this script. Feel free to personalize.
“Hi, my name is ______ and I am calling from the National Council of Jewish Women in _______. I’m calling to urge the senator to vote against the nomination of Matthew Kacsmaryk (kass-MARE-ukk) to the District Court for the Northern District of Texas. He has extremely biased views and a hostile record against women and the LGBTQ community. He must not be confirmed to the federal bench.”