On January 22, President Trump officially re-nominated 50 (yes, five-zero) federal judicial nominees that were not confirmed in the last Congress. This list includes partisan operatives with harmful ideological agendas. Federal courts are the last line of defense for our constitutional rights, and the judges who sit on them must be fair and independent. Federal judges serve lifetime appointments and will continue to interpret and control constitutional rights long after the Trump administration ends.
Using the form below, contact your Senators and urge them to VOTE NO on these dangerous nominees:
List of nominees:
- Chad A. Readler, nominated to the US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, leads the Administration’s charge against the Affordable Care Act. He is an ideological warrior and has spoken out in favor of separating families at the border and the xenophobic Muslim ban.
- Eric Murphy, nominated to the US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, fought to make it easier for Ohio to disenfranchise voters, argued against marriage equality in Obergefell v. Hodges, and repeatedly attacked reproductive rights.
- Allison Jones Rushing, nominated to the US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, has only practiced law for eight years and worked at the Alliance Defending Freedom, a group that supports the criminalization of homosexuality and the state-sanctioned sterilization of transgender people.
- Eric Miller, nominated to the US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, has repeatedly argued in favor of banning abortion.
- Brian Buescher, nominated to the US District Court for the District of Nebraska, called abortion “just immoral” and described himself as “avidly pro-life,” and has spent his career advancing partisan interests.
- Matthew Kacsmaryk, nominated to the US District Court for the Northern District of Texas, has repeatedly cited “religious freedom” as an excuse for discrimination against LGBTQ individuals and has attacked Roe v. Wade and laws requiring access to birth control.
- Wendy Vitter, nominated to the US District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana, praised Texas’ unconstitutional TRAP law struck down by the US Supreme Court in Whole Woman’s Health v. Hellerstedt, failed to disclose most of her speaking engagements to the Senate Judiciary Committee in which she spread false information about contraceptives and abortion, and refused to say at her hearing whether she agreed with Brown v. Board of Education.
- Howard Nielson, nominated to the US District Court for the District of Utah, defended the use of torture, is one of the NRA’s go-to attorneys, and once argued that a gay judge should recuse himself in a marriage equality case, simply because of his sexual orientation.
- Campbell Barker, nominated to the US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, supported the Trump Administration’s decisions to end the DACA program and implement the Muslim ban. He has also defended discriminatory photo ID laws and unconstitutional and anti-women TRAP laws.
- Michael J. Truncale, nominated to the US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, is a conservative ideologue who has been hostile to immigrants and once called the contraception benefit of the Affordable Care Act “an assault on the Catholic Church.”
NCJW strongly opposes these nominees. At a time when our communities are under attack, it’s more important than ever to have federal judges that will stand as a backstop for our fundamental constitutional rights, the first and last line of defense when it comes to truly protect every woman’s right to choose. Use the script below to call your senators and insist they reject these biased and bigoted nominees.