Last week, the Senate Judiciary Committee advanced 44 judicial nominees in one day many of whom pose real and serious threats to our hard-won constitutional rights. As early as this week, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) will begin to schedule votes on these unfit nominees. We cannot let these dangerous ideologies serve lifetime tenures on our federal courts. After reading about these nominees, use the script below to call your senators today. They must protect our courts.
List of nominees in order of expected votes:
- Allison Jones Rushing, nominated to the US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, has only practiced law for eight years and worked at the Alliance Defending Freedom, a group that supports the criminalization of homosexuality and the state-sanctioned sterilization of transgender people.
- Eric Miller, nominated to the US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, has repeatedly argued in favor of banning abortion.
- Chad A. Readler, nominated to the US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, leads the Administration’s charge against the Affordable Care Act. He is an ideological warrior and has spoken out in favor of separating families at the border and the xenophobic Muslim ban.
- Eric Murphy, nominated to the US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, fought to make it easier for Ohio to disenfranchise voters, argued against marriage equality in Obergefell v. Hodges, and repeatedly attacked reproductive rights.
- Matthew Kacsmaryk, nominated to the US District Court for the Northern District of Texas, has repeatedly cited “religious freedom” as an excuse for discrimination against LGBTQ individuals and has attacked Roe v. Wade and laws requiring access to birth control.
- Howard Nielson, nominated to the US District Court for the District of Utah, defended the use of torture, is one of the NRA’s go-to attorneys, and once argued that a gay judge should recuse himself in a marriage equality case, simply because of his sexual orientation.
- Wendy Vitter, nominated to the US District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana, praised Texas’ unconstitutional TRAP law struck down by the US Supreme Court in Whole Woman’s Health v. Hellerstedt, failed to disclose most of her speaking engagements to the Senate Judiciary Committee in which she spread false information about contraceptives and abortion, and refused to say at her hearing whether she agreed with Brown v. Board of Education.
- Michael J. Truncale, nominated to the US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, is a conservative ideologue who has been hostile to immigrants and once called the contraception benefit of the Affordable Care Act “an assault on the Catholic Church.”
- Campbell Barker, nominated to the US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, supported the Trump Administration’s decisions to end the DACA program and implement the Muslim ban. He has also defended discriminatory photo ID laws and unconstitutional and anti-women TRAP laws.
- Brian Buescher, nominated to the US District Court for the District of Nebraska, called abortion “just immoral” and described himself as “avidly pro-life,” and has spent his career advancing partisan interests.
Input your home address to get your officials’ contact info.
My name is [name] and I am a member of the National Council of Jewish Women calling from [city/town]. I call on you to stand up for the integrity of our federal courts by only confirming judges who are fair and independent. The Senate Judiciary Committee advanced 44 nominees in one day, many of whom are dangerous ideologues, like [insert nominees you are concerned about]. Federal courts are the backstop for our constitutional rights and I urge you to reject these deeply troubling nominees.
Our voices are strongest together. Help us make sure we reach all senators.