A Promote the Vote, Protect the Vote 2020 (PTV 2020) captain is a section member who is the designated liaison between a section participating in the PTV 2020 campaign and the NCJW national office. The PTV 2020 captain is responsible for ensuring a section meets its commitments to the campaign.
This position is an opportunity for NCJW advocates interested in voter engagement to cultivate leadership and programming skills, and network with rising NCJW leaders across the country. It is designed for new advocates and emerging leaders in an NCJW section and does not require any previous experience or expertise on voter engagement work. A current section leader will not be considered for this role unless they are applying with a rising leader in the section to be co-captains.
As a PTV 2020 captain, individuals commit to the following:
- Coordinate with NCJW national staff to create a customized PTV 2020 plan for their section. The plan will include a minimum of two actions throughout the year.
- Act as the go-to for NCJW voter engagement efforts for their section, including providing regular updates to section or team leadership and establishing goals for campaign actions.
- Regular communication with the NCJW Engagement and Leadership department, the frequency of which to be determined based on the needs and capacity of the individual.
- Submit monthly reports, via the fillable form provided by the NCJW national office, to provide updates on event planning, attendance data, successes/challenges, etc.
- Complete a pre and final evaluation to inform future PTV efforts.
Upon committing as a PTV 2020 captain, individuals will receive:
- An opportunity to develop and strengthen leadership and organizing skills.
- An intro box of swag and resources to help launch their PTV 2020 efforts
- A cohort of PTV 2020 captains across the country to network with and share ideas.
- Personalized support from NCJW national staff to ensure the success of their campaign.
- Networking and presentation opportunities at Convention 2020 in Chicago, IL.
- A PTV 2020 certificate from NCJW national upon the completion of the campaign.
At Convention 2020, captains will have the opportunity to network with each other and play a role in the Shabbat voting-themed program.
Time Commitment & Qualifications
PTV 2020 captains should expect to commit 1-4 hours per week to their campaign responsibilities, which will include coordinating voter engagement programs for their section and filling out the monthly update form for NCJW national. Captains planning a higher number of events for their section may invest more hours.
Captains do not need to have any prior experience in voter engagement programming, advocacy, or organizing. A captain should be a new or emerging leader in a section that has minimal NCJW leadership commitments. There are no age or membership-length restrictions for PTV 2020 captains.
To apply, advocates must fill out this short form, and be approved by a current leader of their section or action team. Once the form is completed, NCJW national staff will contact the appropriate executive director, section president, or action team leads. Once one of the above leaders signs off on a captain, the captain will have an introductory call with NCJW national staff to discuss their commitments and start drafting their action plan.
The deadline to apply to be a PTV 2020 captain is January 31, 2020. Captains will be approved on a rolling basis until the deadline, and interested individuals are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Captain applications will be accepted past the deadline on a case-by-case basis.
Please note that NCJW is a 501(c)3 non-partisan organization. All voter engagement work performed in this role must not appear to endorse or oppose candidates or political parties. Please review NCJW’s 501(c)3 electoral guidelines for more details.
For more information about NCJW’s Promote the Vote, Protect the Vote 2020 campaign, please read through the PTV 2020 Campaign FAQ.
Questions? Contact NCJW Grassroots Associate Hannah Cohen Smith at email@example.com or 240-509-5507.